Monday 14 September 2009

The power of creation

At the risk of sounding like an apple pie mom, I make quilts.

Last week Frog was helping me to finish off a quilt that was a gift for friend's new baby. I say help in the loosest possible way; it usually takes the form of emptying out all my buttons, ribbons and scraps of fabrics.

This time though she decided to make her own quilt. She chose her fabrics and cut them to size, found some fleece to quilt with and sandwiched it together. She shoved me off the sewing machine and with her toes barely able to touch the peddle she did indeed make her own quilt.

The pleasure she had in making her quilt and the intense pride in her handiwork was truly an awe & wonder moment.

The power of creation: taking basic raw materials and making them into something beautiful, valuable and to be treasured is such a gift. It feels great when you say, "I made that!"

And now I really do sound like an apple pie mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment