Thursday 27 August 2009

The mysteries of illness

Sadly this post is not strictly about awe and wonder, but it made me smile and I hope it does you too.

Frog has done precious little homework this holiday. Not that that's a bad thing in itself; I just didn't want her to forget everything while on school holidays. So in my usual I-work-in-media-therefore-I'm-a-deadline-junkie kind of way I thought we could use the last week to 'do a project'. Frog could choose the topic, I'd decide what to do.

My vision: Frog would choose something gorgeous, girlie and glamorous: think High School Musical with added glitter. We could write the words to a song, learn a dance and count the number of characters (or something like that). Perfect for a bit of togetherness and lots of fun.

I made the suggestion about the project to her and it was greeted with reserved enthusiasm but not total dismissal. I explained how it would work and made some suggestions for the types of things she might choose for her topic: HSM, mermaids, fairies, the magic faraway tree, the beach, under the sea. But made it clear it was her choice.

She thought very seriously for a few minutes, very seriously, and finally decided, "Mummy I want to do my project on swine flu."

Well, what can you say to that?

Any suggestions for swine flue related activities gratefully received, please post a comment.

As for awe and wonder - back next post!

2 comments:

  1. Hahaha, how topic, how sweet.
    You could try to print (large scale) this picture http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/images/news/photos/2009/04/28/swineflu-cp-RTXEI3D.jpg then add glitter?
    Am not that creative, but it might turn up OK...

    ReplyDelete